Crushed granite and paved roads
Hiking, jogging, biking, pets
Whiting Park (northwest)
On its east end, the trail winds through Mainland Meadows, the southern portion of the Village of Whiting well field. In 1992, the Martha and James Mainland family made this 29-acre property available for purchase. The village was awarded a Land and Water Conservation Fund grant to acquire the property and develop a multipurpose trail system. The scenic meadows of grasses, wildflowers, and scattered trees protect the village’s water supply and provides habitat for numerous wildlife species.
In 2005, the oak forest surrounding the meadow was infected by oak wilt disease, which killed off most of the oak trees. The Village of Whiting replanted the area with a diversity of disease-resistant tree species. A kiosk along the Green Circle interprets the story of oak wilt in the village, and an adjacent nature trail identifies the newly planted trees.
Upper and Lower Whiting Park
This trail provides access to Upper Whiting Park (Village of Whiting). Upper Whiting Park offers picnic tables, views of the Plover River, an interpretive trail, and an educational shelter. The park also harbors several Indian Mounds perched on a ridge above the river (click here to learn more about the mounds). Lower Whiting Park, located just across the dam, provides restrooms, picnic tables, playground equipment, a boat landing, baseball fields, a shelter, fishing, and duck feeding.
The current dam in Whiting Park is the original location of an 1852 sawmill which created McDill Pond. Over the years, this area was used for a grist mill, graphite mill, and pulp mill, which was known locally as the “stink mill” for the bad odors emitted from a sulfate manufacturing process. In 1954, the Village of Whiting purchased the land and mills and created a public park. The Village of Whiting is named after George A. Whiting, a papermaking pioneer who built a paper mill on the Wisconsin River in 1891.