Crushed granite and paved roads
Hiking, jogging, biking, pets
Patch St. (north), Whiting Park (south)
The Story of McDill Pond
McDill Pond is a 260-acre impoundment of the Plover River created by a dam in the Village of Whiting. The pond has a long history, dating back to 1852 when the original dam was built for a sawmill. In 1864, Thomas and Alexander McDill bought the sawmill, and became the namesake of the pond. In 1885, Thomas’ son, George McDill, constructed a grist mill on the site to grind grain. The dam later was used as a graphite mill and a pulp mill (also known as the “stink mill” by local residents). In 1954, the Village of Whiting purchased the land and mills and created a public park called Lower Whiting Park.
Plover River Park
The McDill Trail travels through Plover River Park (Stevens Point city park), a 15.5 acre nature reserve which offers a nature trail and water access.